Cloud 5: Oracle's cloud strategy, price wars rage on

Posted by Ron Miller on Sep 23, 2016 10:20:19 AM

5_9-23-16.jpgWelcome to The Cloud 5, our weekly feature where we scour the web searching for the five most intriguing and poignant cloud links we can find.

Before we jump into this week's links, please have a look at one of our recent blog posts, Adobe has struck gold since moving to the cloud. Adobe has been on quite a run since it moved to the cloud, with 10 straight quarters of record revenue.

And without further delay, here we go with this week's links:

Why Oracle had to rewire itself for the cloud | Fortune

Oracle has done an about-face on the cloud, first mocking it, then finally fully embracing it, but the fact is, it had no choice. The market has shifted in a big way, and companies are not looking at on-prem software anymore.

Sorry, Microsoft: Cloud price wars are still raging | Geekwire

Microsoft's assertion that the cloud infrastructure vendor price wars are over just isn't true. If you look at the data, the prices are continuing to go down as vendors squeeze ever more efficiency out of their systems, and the raging competition forces discounts.

Official: Cloud computing is now mainstream | The Register

In case you hadn't realized it, the cloud has gone mainstream. A new IDC survey confirms what you probably already knew with 68 percent of respondents reporting using some form of the cloud. Makes me wonder what the other 32 percent are waiting for.

Cloud Foundry launches new Docker-compatible container management system | TechCrunch

Cloud Foundry, the open source private cloud project run by Pivotal, announced a new container management system this week that's Docker-compatible.  What's more, it scales to handle 250,000 containers. Most companies aren't there yet, but it's good to know the toolset is in place whenever they are ready.

Oracle CEO Hurd on shift to cloud computing | Bloomberg (video)

Mark Hurd from Oracle, the former HP CEO, talks about his company's strategy as it moves to the cloud. While it's mostly a lot of party line stuff, it is worth watching to get Oracle's perspective as it moves deeper into the cloud.

Barracuda MSP blog

Photo Credit: Tomma Henckel. Used under CC 2.0 license.

Topics: The Cloud 5

Which Data Loss Gremlin Is Targeting You
MSP Health Check
MSP Phishing Quiz
Intronis Local Lunches
MSP Marketing Assessment